Osteoarthritis is the terminology used when referring to a form of chronic joint inflammation directly caused by the deterioration of joint cartilage.
A diagnosis of osteoarthritis in your dog can feel overwhelming.
It is known as a progressive, degenerative disease that worsens over time and one of the most common chronic diseases dogs can face.
What are the typical joint problems of a dog?
- Deterioration of the top of a bone called femur usually seen in young miniature and small breeds of dogs.
- Abnormal development of the kneecap (displacement).
- Dogs of any age may be affected.
- Osteochondrosis, a disease affecting immature joint cartilage that cracks and separates from the underlying bone.
- Elbow dysplasia, being one of the most common causes of osteoarthritis of the canine elbow.
- Infectious arthritis that is usually caused by bacteria.
- Arthritis caused by the body’s immune system.
Another types are commonly referred as Joint Trauma where several probable causes could be the reason such as:
- Dislocation, or
- Ligament breakdown
How joint problems are manifested in dogs?
Signs of bone and joint disorders in dogs can be:
- Difficulty running,
- Difficulty getting up,
- Pain when touched,
- Unusually bad temper,
- Visible swelling in the joints,
- Lameness in the hind end,
- Difficulty posturing to urinate or defecate,
- Decrease range of motion
Which dog breeds are more prone to joint problems?
Joint problems are more common among larger breeds.
Some reasons are that the critical growth period is longer in large dogs and that they grow amazingly fast, and for this reason they are more prone to skeletal problems, which are aggravated if they are overweight and if they exercise a lot.
It is necessary to keep in mind that some joint diseases affect joint membranes, while other can affect tendons, cartilage, bursae, and fluid within the joint.
Joint disorders may be present at birth or may be the result of injury to the joint, or abnormal development, immune-related conditions, cancers, or infections.
Breeds more affected are:
- Toy: Miniature Poodles, Boston Terriers, Chihuahuas, Pugs (knee), and Yorkshire Terriers.
- Medium to large: American Staffordshire Terrier, Labrador and Golden Retrievers, Boxers, American and English Bulldogs, German Shepherds, and Mastiffs.
- Giant: Great Danes, St. Bernard.
How to improve the condition?
Advanced Joint support for Dogs with Arthritis
Fortunately, there are several healthy options available:
- Physiotherapy and hydrotherapy can be beneficial for dogs with joint pain to help enhance their quality of life.
- Lasers, Cryotherapy (ice packs) or Thermotherapy (heat packs) are also good options.
- Acupuncture, the insertion of thin needles into the skin at certain points of the body.
- Natural joint supplements for dogs are specifically designed to reduce joint problems and relieve the existing symptoms.
These include ingredients such as glucosamine, chondroitin sulfate, omega-3 fatty acids and MSM, all of which have proven anti-inflammatory properties.
Natural Joint Support Supplements
We need to define what we understand by Natural.
According to Western Oregon University, “a natural product is any organic compound that is synthesized by a living organism and can be extracted from the cells, tissues, and secretions of microorganisms, plants and animals.”
There are many products in the market presented as natural solutions to help dogs with Osteoarthritis.
However, when looking at the list of ingredients it becomes clear not all of them are natural.
When we say natural, we refer to ingredients that are not manufactured in laboratories or that have not been processed through different chemical instances that remove, alter or change their natural composition.
We also say natural when there are absolute no artificial colors or flavors.
Advanced Joint support for Dogs with Arthritis
Let’s examine Herbal Joint Support for Dogs – Soothe Joints™
- It is an advanced herbal-based formula that aids in joint support by keeping the normal viscosity of joint fluid.
- It supplies proper function of the joint capsule.
- And it helps with stiffness, soreness, and tenderness associated with normal, every-day activities.
Soothe Joints™ is recommended for older dogs experiencing occasional joint stiffness.
- It supports the structural integrity of joints.
- It promotes cartilage development and joint health.
In dogs, osteoarthritis generally appears more often in older animals, but young animals may also be affected by this pathology.
Osteoarthritis is characterized by progressive, permanent long-term deterioration of the cartilage surrounding the joints.
For this condition, surgery is considered as a last resort, and it is only recommended in patients with highly developed arthritis.
Maintenance of healthy joints requires proper function of the joint capsule, cartilage on the bone endings, and viscous joint fluid.
Soothe Joints™ helps in the maintenance of:
- Healthy joint capsules, and
- A thickened joint fluid to help support normal movement.
How does it work
For a healthy joint function, the Chinese Medicine theory recommends a combination of herbs that moves blood and energy within and around the joint, expelling pathogenic factors.
There are many fantastic natural ingredients in this Herbal Joint Support for Dogs Soothe Joints™.
Some of them are:
- Frankincense (ru xiang)
- Actions: Breaks up blood stagnation and addresses discomfort.
- Inula (tu mu xiang)
- Actions: Addresses dampness and edema near the joints.
- Cinnamon bark (gui zhi)
- Actions: Improves blood circulation.
- Achyranthes root (niu xi)
- Invigorates the blood, expels blood stasis, strengthens the sinews and bones, and helps the joints by nourishing the liver and kidney (which addresses discomfort and aches of the lower back and legs, and clears damp heat manifested as obstruction of the lower back and legs.)
The full list of active Ingredients is:
Proprietary blend of (mulberry twig, kadsura stem, angelica tang kuei, notopterygium root, pubescent angelica root, gentiana macrophylla root, frankincense, inula, achyranthes root, ligusticum root, cinnamon bark, honey-fried licorice root)
Additional Ingredients in Tablets Only:
Inactive Ingredients: Hydroxypropyl cellulose, calcium carbonate, maltodextrin, microcrystalline cellulose, silicon dioxide, stearic acid, magnesium stearate
As we see, just herbal ingredients are in Herbal Joint Support for Dogs – Soothe Joints™
That is a true 100% natural holistic product for your dog!